|Chocolate, Crystal, Pale Malts And Flaked Rye Grains|
|Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye In Glass While Racking My Clone|
The color of my Screwer In The Rye matched perfectly with the color of the Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye we'd been drinking while transferring the cooled wort to the fermentor. Brewing a new experimental beer was very exciting for me and I took extra steps to make sure it would come out tasting as close as possible to the beer I was cloning. I spent a few hours over the course of the next week calibrating my brewing thermometer, which I found after a year of use had drifted 3-4F. I used qBrew to create the ingredient list of grains and hops I would be using and then put together the rest of my brewing plan and entered them into the batch notes and saved them.
|Washing The Rice Hulls Prior To Adding To Mash|
|After Recirculating The Wort Sample Was 1.074|
|60 Minute Boil With Hop Additions|
|1/2 Tablet Of WhirlFloc Keeps The Cold Break Out Of The Fermentor|
By using hops sacks to remove the hops after the boil and the addition of some WhirlFloc 10-15 minutes before flameout helps a lot in keeping the cold break inside the boil pot and out of the fermentor when racking the wort. I've found that reducing chill haze and producing a clear, clean tasting beer requires care during the lauter when recirculating the wort as well as using a fining agent to help settle the trub and using an autosiphon when transferring to the primary fermentor and bottling bucket.
|Pouring East Coast Yeast's ECY12 Into Aerated Wort|
|East Coast Yeast ECY12 - Old Newark Beer™ Fermented At 59F|
|The Rye's Final Gravity Finished At 1.014|
|Screwer In The Rye!|
|Screwer In The Rye Lager|
|Great Mouthfeel, Head Retention And Lacing|
After making a few very minor tweaks in the grain bill I was able to brew this beer with just about the right color I wanted, this tweak is really more about aesthetics than anything else. The other change in my process involved pitching a 2 liter starter of East Coast Yeast ECY-12 that I had washed and propagated from my brew's original fermentation.
|Screwer In The Rye Lager II|
I brewed this recipe again in June 2012 about four months after posting this original story and made several adjustments to the recipe. I switched out Crystal 10L for the Crystal 20L in the first recipe to get the color a little lighter and after removing the rice hulls completely the sparge still didn't stick. The next time I brew this recipe I have a couple of new tricks to try to get the color just a shade or two lighter yet.
|Screwy In The Rye Version III|